first day of school: round 2

The only pictures I have to remember {s}'s first day of school today are those of him flat on the floor, head covered by his arms because

"Me no want pictures!"

I think if {p} had done that at 2, I would've picked him up and made him stand at the door just so I could get that shot of the first day outfit and the cute little school bag. And I probably could've done that with {s} -- maybe not... he's pretty stubborn -- but the floor thing reflected his personality so I decided to take the picture just as he was.

I had to fill out a sheet to send to school with him today. One of the questions asked for three words to describe our child. I'm so used to thinking of adjectives for {p}. He's smart, he's caring, he's compassionate, he's sensitive, he's mature. I almost caught myself writing the same sort of thing for {s}, until it hit me that although he can be those things, they aren't him.

He's silly, he's funny, he's a mess, he's curious, he's inquisitive, he's bright, he's stubborn. Sometimes he smothers me with kisses, and sometimes he swipes his face until it is red to wipe kisses off. Sometimes he'll put his hands on my cheeks and say, "I love you," and sometimes he'll glare at me and say, "Me no like you." Sometimes he'll pose for the camera with a huge grin, and sometimes he'll flop on the floor, hands covering his head. But that's okay. It's who he is.

4 comments:

DrW said...

Isn't it remarkable how different God wants us to be so that we can be what He wants us to be! Viva la difference!

Anonymous said...

I think it is great to have pics of how it really was. I'd rather look back and see how it really was (and laugh at the memory of it) than look back at a staged pic. It is funny how kids in the same family can be so very different!

Hansen's blog said...

Both of your boys are adorable. Funny what 2-year-olds will do and say.

momto5minnies said...

Oh there are so many more adjectives to describe children ... so many ;)

I bet he is really a fun little guy!