hummingbird nest

If I ever needed a zoom lens, it was today! My mother-in-law discovered a hummingbird nest in the fork of a dogwood branch. The nest is about 15 feet off of the ground, and extremely hard to spot. It appears that the nest is still under construction... lots of zooming back and forth with bits and pieces in the beak. I can't wait to keep watching, and see how this progresses.

I read up a little just to know what all was involved in this tiny nest. Smaller than a golfball, the nest is made using spider web silk! Imagine that! And, the outside is covered with small pieces of lichen. If what I read is correct, mama hummingbird will lay two tiny white eggs.

My grandmother, Sweet Pea, would've loved this. I can't help but think that she was there today, peeking over my shoulder as I climbed to the tip top of the ladder and took these pictures.







3 comments:

DrW said...

Oh wow! What a great picture! You might as well put a tree house in that tree....Can't wait to see more pictures of this one. Also like the Coke ad below these!

Janet said...

That's so neat. I've always seen hummingbirds zooming around, but I have never found a nest.

DrW said...

More! More!