luna moth caterpillar

I've written a couple of times about {p}'s interest in bugs... most living things, actually. Right now in school, they are learning all about animals, their habits and habitats, and life cycles.

It couldn't have been better timing for his Grandaddy Pat to find this.



This is a photo of our newest pet - a luna moth caterpillar. Right now, he is safely tucked away in the bug habitat. He has been gorging himself on leaves, and has evidence from his little digestive system to prove just how much he is eating. This is a HUGE caterpillar... the biggest I've ever seen. I went to {p}'s class and all of his friends got to take an up-close look. The new home for the caterpillar will be in the classroom. We're crossing our fingers that we see a cocoon, and one day, a LUNA MOTH!

2 comments:

momto5minnies said...

HOW COOL!!!!!

My {m} is our bug/ animal/creature girl. I still think of that Eric Carle book that my little {c} loves.

Keep eating caterpillar ...

momto5minnies said...

Hey, check this out...
http://munchkinsonthepath.blogspot.com/