did I really say NEVER?

I guess it happens to all mothers. Doing the things that you said you'd never do, or letting your child do the things that you swore to yourself that you'd never let them do. Today will go down in history as one of those times.

I just stuck a Spiderman wall cling to {p}'s bedroom wall.

Me. Spiderman. I neverevereverever thought I would even purchase something like it. But I did. I saw it on clearance in Target and knew that it would make {p} such a happy thing. Plus, he knows I don't like Spiderman, which makes him all the more likeable to {p}. I knew that a million years, he wouldn't have expected for me to cave in and put something like that up in his room. So, I bought it.

I was going to give it to him as part of his birthday present (still two months away), but he saw it in the back of the car one day. I bargained with him... 14 nights in his bed without sneaking into ours. In a row. If he snuck into our bed one night, I would start counting all over. Honestly, I thought it would take him forever. Well, it didn't. It took him only 14 nights.

I don't like Spiderman in there. {p}'s room has taken on a slight aura of tackiness, but apparently that doesn't matter to five year olds. And it shouldn't matter to me. I'm working on that.

5 comments:

momto5minnies said...

YAY for {P}!!!!!!

There are worse things in life that you can concede to. I have to remember that my children are individuals with their own likes and dislikes. My own mother never let us do certain things that I let my girls do. Sometimes I felt stifled by not being able to express my individuality.

GOOD FOR YOU!

thesixburghmom said...

LOL! I remember a certain pair of Spiderman pjs that caused me to cringe. But my boys loved them.

Never say never. That's my biggest lesson so far as a parent.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean, I take pride in the fact that Luke has no clue who Dora is, or Elmo, or even cares. But he's just 2 so I'm sure that will all change soon enough! :-P

Nicole McLaughlin said...

I can soooo relate to this, I didn't even think I'd ever have 3 boys!!!!! LOL

Anonymous said...

I'm suprised you did this but so proud of you! I think it is great to step back and let him have something like that when it seems he likes it so much! Let his individuality shine through! :)