the big day before the big day

I'm sitting here at the kitchen table with {p}, sharing some warm cookies and a glass of milk. He wanted to work in a little workbook, and he just asked me to spell "dolphin" for him. He didn't believe me when I got to the "ph" part. He said it was "f." Then, for my benefit, he sounded out the word very slowly -- "d ahhhh l fffffffffff i nnnn." I guess he thought I needed a review. He always thinks he is right. Usually, he is. But he finally gave in with this one and wrote the right letters.

I have no doubts that he is ready for tomorrow. My {p} loves to learn. Just barely 5, he knows more about the names and habitats of sea creatures than I do. His vocabulary is years ahead of where it should be. He's adding and subtracting, and even reading a bit. The sky is the limit for him. He can do, and be, anything that he wants.

No, I'm not ready, but I know he is. And that's enough to get me through tomorrow.

2 comments:

Janet said...

How funny! Don't you just love it?! How was the first day?

momto5minnies said...

He is one smart cookie! I know he will do awesome in school.