to catch a bird

When I was a little girl, my Sweet Pea used to tell me that all I had to do to catch a bird was sprinkle salt on its tail. I thought that maybe the salt on the tail would keep it from flying. I spent hours in her yard with her saltshaker, running after birds. I don't know when I realized that technically, if you could get close enough to sprinkle salt, you would be close enough to catch it. Or when I realized that it was a fabulous way to keep a child busy.

I thought of her today when I was close enough to sprinkle salt on this little bird's tail.




Mama and Daddy cardinal were trying hard to encourage their baby to fly. As much as I wanted to scoop this fuzzy baby up and help out, I left it alone like I knew I should. Even so, it was fun to get close enough.

No salt needed, Sweet Pea!

6 comments:

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

I enjoyed reading your blog this afternoon...Had some time to do some blog hopping...always enjoy finding new blogs!
Hope you will visit me. This month I am posting on our Disney trip.

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

Girl, that is funny! I'd never heard of that whole salt thing... hilarious.

thesixburghmom said...

My grandmother used to tell us the same thing. And we would also spend hours outside with the salt shaker. Neat!

momto5minnies said...

What a great little story. My Grandmother was all into birds. She had all these Audubon bird books that I loved to look at. Sigh ... simpler days.

Anonymous said...

That brings tears to my eyes! I know how much you love Sweet Pea.

DrW said...

Isn't God good to us!