what's wrong with this picture?



I saw this picture in the latest Pottery Barn Kids catalog. PB doesn't just sell stuff. They sell a lifestyle, a story, a dream that maybe this time, it will be perfect. Trust me, if I bought that child sized table, the turkey runner, the placemats, the stuffed turkey, my Thanksgiving still wouldn't look like THAT. Or, it might look like that for about five seconds, but only until someone spilled the drink, broke a glass, strangled their cousin (or brother) with the ribbon that was pulled off of the chair, played football with the turkey centerpiece, and drew on the chalkboard with markers. If you look closely at the picture, you will see that no one is crying and no one has stained their white sweaters... yet.

It's nice, Pottery Barn. I like to look at your idea of Thanksgiving, and even dream of it for a few minutes (or hours), but mine is better. Mine is real.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

When I first read your post title and looked at the picture, I immediately thought.."the white sweaters...will never stay free of stains". :)

I throw my PB catalog in my recycling bin before it ever gets in my house. I should really be more green and ask them to stop sending it to me.

{W}

momto5minnies said...

Great post J ... I totally get what you are saying.

This advertising thing today really is killing so many people ... "encouraging" them to buy things they can't afford and trying to guilt us into thinking that only IF we had this, things could be better.

Things aren't the answer ...